heart shaped apple pie
iced and bite sized
- Pastry Dough (I made mine from scratch but
you can buy premade, i’ll share my recipe soon!)
- 4 cups diced apples
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs apple pie spice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat over to 425 and like 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add the diced apples and toss with the flour then stir in the sugar and apple pie spice. Set aside.
- On a floured cutting board, roll out the pre-made dough until it is about 1/8″ thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, I used a heart shape one, cut out 16 hearts. Reuse dough and roll out again as needed.
- Brush butter onto 8 of your hearts and place 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture on the center of the hearts.
- Place the remaining dough on top. Pinch to seal then press a fork around the entire edge.
- Make an egg wash by slightly beating one egg with 1 tbsp of water. Brush tops of the hearts then cut 2 slits onto the dough.
- Place on your cookie sheet and bake for 20/25 minutes or until golder brown and the apples are tender. Make the icing.
For the icing
- In a bowl whisk 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Add in 1 tbsp of milk as your whisking to get the desired texture you want. (I use about half a cup of milk.)
- When your apple pies are done, pull them out of the oven and immediately poor your icing over the hot pies.
- Let cool, then serve.